Wednesday, February 28, 2007

SUV4-1



The Mustang is not gone, it's going for an overhaul of the engine. This is going to take some time, so I need wheels. I'm proud to introduce to you my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

When you are entrenched in the automotive world, everyone scruitinzes your decisions regarding automobiles as you're presumed to know everything out there about cars. So why did you choose a Grand Cherokee?

Many many factors. While very fond of the 2000 F-150, that would have been an easy choice to go back to. However, the gas mileage is very miserable, it's difficult to park (even in Texas) and it just won't fit in the garage. My driveway takes on the full force of the Texas sun for 12 hours a day and any vehicle would just bake. It's very Texas to own a pickup, so thankfully when I need one, I have no shortage of friends who will lend me theirs.

This is the second Jeep Grand Cherokee I've owned. I did have a 1995 model for three years. Despite catching on fire, it was a great car. The Grand Cherokee is what I call the SUV for one. Jeep knows this as well and has refused to make it any larger or add a third row of seating. Grand Cherokee owners are single professionals who want an SUV for the utility, but have no need for the mass of an Expedition/Tahoe. There is a Grand Cherokee with a third row and it's called the Commander. It's such a failure for Jeep, that it's being pulled from the lineup after 2009/2010 according to industry gossip. Jeeps are nimble, capable off-roaders and not large leviathans. My model has the Quadra Drive 4x4 system so it will be able to handle the occasional off-road adventure.

And yes, it has the V8.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! And Mr.B's hair won't show!
:-))

arash said...

nice car. I've always like jeeps. The grand cherokee always looked good, but also seemed pricey. But knowing you, you probably paid a good price. Is this your way of supporting chrysler in their time of need? I hope your rear seats both fold down. I would suggest you fold them down permanently for Mr. B. And if he's a drooler, it should be fun wiping the dried drool patches on the sides of your car.