Monday, April 23, 2007

Security Issues



It's been a rough week. I haven't felt much like blogging. One week ago today we were attached to our favorite form of media watching things unfold in Virginia. What an awful day. Working at home, the risk of facing this situation myself is pretty slim. However I have one sister in a public school and another in a law firm.

As the week went by things just became worse. While we found out more and more about what happened, we realized how little we could have done to prevent it. There was no obvious scapegoat. No person who ignored the warning signs, no gun swap meet where he bought his weapon, no relationship that went sour and no cries for help ignored. No one trigger or person has emerged to set off this chain of events.

So we all are left to look around for the next one. As 9/11 did, 4/16 left us all a little less secure.

Except for Baxter. On the lighter side of this week, Baxter is finally rolling on his back and sleeping. After two months together, he now feels comfortable enough to roll over on his back and sleep or play. For a dog owner this is a big occasion as you have earned the trust of your pet.

Baxter feels secure, let's all try and do the same.

1 comment:

arash said...

I think that picture is now in the lead for Casey's Xmas 2006 card competition.

And yes that Virginia tech incident is scary because this type of thing cannot be avoided. It can happen anywhere. At anytime. And chances are no matter how many times it happens, we can't stop it. Unless we want to tank the second amendment. Or start living in a a super-policed state. And I doubt either of those are gonna fly.

I would go into details of how I feel about the whole thing, why I think it might have happened, and things of that nature, but I'm just not in the mood, and I doubt I could leave a 7 page comment.

Do me a favor. Next time Baxter is sleeping in his secure position (or as I call it, his showing the goods position), put a grape in his lip flap. Then take a picture. Thanks