Monday, April 09, 2007

1964



We're in for a long long long presidential campaign leading up to the 2008 election. It's not going to be fun, but you'll be very happy to know I've made my choice already. I won't be loosing any sleep debating my decision going forward. So don't worry about me.

How fortunate are we that the choices facing us this time are so many. We are a nation of consumers and if it's one thing we all enjoy is shopping. Like wandering through the breakfast cereal aisle, there is something for everyone. Based on the picture above, I believe you know my cereal of choice.

It has been a rough seven years for our country. We went from relative personal and national security to great uncertainty. From an unprecedented attack to a war we're not sure why we're in or how we're going to get out of. Our founding fathers were wise enough to give us an instrument of change every four years.

And change it will be. The voters will decide the extent. But why Hillary Clinton? A valid question and one we have to ask ourselves before we head to the voting booth. I'm offering some transparency into my decision here.

I'm looking for a breakthrough. It's been 42 years since we've passed the Civil Rights act of 1964 and we've yet to have a President that is protected under what I consider the two most significant protections, sex and race, color or creed. Back in 1964 white males held an extraordinary amount of power and this historic act was meant to level the playing field. It's only since last year the Speaker of the House fell under these protections and now it's time for a President. What a remarkable moment in history for our country.

I tend to believe that breakthroughs bring a since of optimism. A can-do-spirit per-se. The Apollo 11 mission to the moon, the end of the cold war, the dawn of the internet age all spurred feeling of optimism and reminded us of all that is possible in this country. While we're all protected under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, we've yet to elect a woman or a racial minority to our nations highest office.

I know you're saying "what about Obama"? If this were 2000 it would be different race and the choice between the two would be a lot harder. But it's 2007 and our world has changed. Experience counts and Hillary has it in spades. She was not running the country from 1992-2000, but she was very interested and learned some very valuable lessons.

And besides, how can you run a negative campaign ad about someone we know all about anyway?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice! My choice too. Men have run this country since we began and look at the fine mess we are in now.
Mrs Clinton is a very intelligent woman and given the chance she may be able to work this country back to what it should be.Maybe even help with our real bad world image. I only hope that voters will THINK and not let the media select the next president like they have in the past. It still boggles my mind that Bush has been able to get away with what he has done to this country. Clinton was impeached for "diddling" and yet Bush has gotten away with murder. Don't say Clinton lied....remember WMD's. Oh I could go on and on but then my blood pressure goes up and I start to misspell words!
Just remember this election will be in 2008, not 1908. Those of you at the back of the line...try to keep up.
I'm very proud of you Case. :-))

PS: Hi Jon!


Feel free to edit as you like Casey.

Anonymous said...

Also to those who disagree with me, please do....but please do it respectfully as I am a little old lady.:-))

arash said...

Haha! Mom played the little old lady card. I love it.

The only thing that worries me about Hilary is the level of support that Bill will or will not show for her. And would she even accept it? I think Gore made a mistake turning down Bill's full support. I felt Bill Clinton was a good president. Not the most disciplined, but a good president. And people still remember that. Especially after having Yosemite Sam as president for the past 2 terms. I would elect Bill again if it was possible. Is Hilary what Bill was, minus the sex scandal? We'd like to hope so, but I'm not sure.

Politics, unfortunately, isn't about being right or doing the right thing. It seems to be mostly about persuasion. And Bill had that talent. Hilary, as much as I like her, seems give me more of a cold feeling. She seems like more of a do-er than a persuader. And I'm not sure if that works these days in american politics on the large stage.

Which is the only reason I might lean towards Obama. He has that charisma and he might be able to change people's minds.
But I'm still not decided. I'm not even sure who else might be running, that has a chance.