Thursday, April 05, 2007

Flex For Me

2009 Ford Flex

Ok, now something I really like at Ford besides the Mustang.

Most non-gearheads probably don't know that New York City is now hosting their big international auto show this week. Yesterday Ford pulled the wraps off their latest new product, the 2009 Ford Flex. Wow.

This design first appeared in 2005 as the Ford Fairlane concept vehicle. Ford sat on it for a year and then decided to go ahead and build it. Too bad for us it's a year later then it should be, but at least it's coming. The minivan, the vehicle we all hate but really love, is officially dead. The replacement is the "People Mover".

I'm in love with the look of this vehicle and I can see myself in it. That's truly a stretch as I'm just a single guy with a dog, granted I do live in a subdivision where it would be right at home. The low roof (painted in a contrasting color), clean sides and short front end recall BMW's Mini Cooper and Scion's Xb. Neither vehicle you'd be embarrassed to be seen in. Can't say that about a Dodge Caravan.

2007 GMC Arcadia

When I see the Flex I think of three terms. Clean, simple and purposeful. In contrast when you look at GM's entries into this "people mover" segment, the Outlook/Arcadia/Enclave, I think aggressive, heavy, lethargic. I doubt there will be many cross shoppers between Ford/GM products as you're going to go for one look over the other. Has this happened in the past? You betcha. In the 1960's Ford's Lincoln Continental was a clean and simple (award winning) design versus Cadillac's large/ostentatious themed vehicles.

1961 Lincoln Continental
1961 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

In the fight for the "people mover" market share, the biggest looser may acutally be Chrysler who's banking on the loved/hated minivan. They have nothing competitive in this segment now, then Ford brings out the Flex.

I think Ford just brought down the value of Chrysler by a billion dollars.

2 comments:

arash said...

It looks like a long version of one of the older range rovers. Thats not a bad thing, but it does. And yes I know they own landrover, but still.
And thats the bottom line, cause Stone Cold says so.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love those fins! My Dad's DeSoto Sportsman could almost fly! Love them, love them, love them.
Long live Ford!(and our pension)

PS: Hi Jon!