Sunday, November 19, 2006

Say Goodbye To Hollywood




There are times when I'm proud of all the places I've lived and the multitude of experiences I've had. Growing up in the back of beyond your opportunities to break away are limited. Then there are other times when I envy those who have stayed put and have deep roots in the places they call home. I'd like to think the next move will be my last, but I know it won't.

I lived in Hollywood longer then I've lived anywhere else since I left home at 18. Now I live in the South Bay by the beach. Much of the Hollywood I knew was in the hills above the Los Angeles basin by Lake Hollywood. Up in the hills there is a serenity that the basin lacks. Today I spent the afternoon on chaotic Melrose Avenue having lunch with friends. I've never seen anything like Melrose Avenue in my travels. Everything is so hip, that if you bought clothes near the LaBrea end they'd be out of style by the time you made it down to Fairfax. I think each clothing store has the life expectancy of a fruit fly.

I said goodbye to an old and dear friend today. Probably one of my hardest goodbyes. I don't know when I'll ever see him again. But as the days wind down there will more painful goodbyes to say and it's just beginning to hit me.

This is no longer my home.

No comments: