Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Overexposed


This past week we moved into our new office space in Santa Monica. It's quite a change from our last space. This office is Edmunds' first space soley designed for the company. It's taking some time to get accustomed to the change. The verdict is out on the place so far, but I don't worry much as I'm leaving at the end of the month.

Once of the design elements I know I don't like is the exposed mechanical systems overhead. I lived with this look at the loft in Chicago. There we were treated to views of 100 year old wood and columns with ornate iron crowns. A spagetti of electrical conduit and highways of HVAC ducts contrasted the old with the new.

At my office here, we have a monochromatic sea of white. This look has been done before and I'm not convinced it works well in Class A office space. I imagine over 100 years ago, people were pretty excited to hide the plumbing and electrical conduit. All your services were delivered without ever seeing them. Quite the contrast to the outhouse.

For now, I get to see the path wastewater takes away from the upstairs rest room. Here's hoping that pipe stays intact for the rest of the month.

No comments: