Friday, July 13, 2007

Home Again


Ok, I've made it home. No surprises, although I had expected a few. Taking a 1500 mile road trip in a 19 year old BMW with 108K miles on the odometer is sure to bring some surprises here and there. But it was flawless and I averaged 24 miles to the gallon.

I did give up blogging after a while. Loading photos on my parents computer and editing them was not going to happen. At least easily. After that I was on the road for a few days and focused on making it back to Austin.

I did spend a few days back at home in Eden, but I spent them with my parents. As I departed I did head over to the high school as I was going to do some car shots there. But as I approached, I decided not too. I really had no feelings that connected me to my high school, so I took off without a shot. Growing up in a very small town, high school was just a tool to get you to college. I don't recall anyone aspiring to stay around after graduation, and sure enough not many have. There were some fun times and great laughs however there was not much school spirit and the classes no longer bother to have reunions. Off I went.

So twenty years ago, I started college. It was on the way home and I always enjoy popping in for a visit. Going to college was a big challange as I was not an academically strong student. My extracurricular activities got me into college, not my grades.

I headed to the Campus Center to find the freshman orientation going on. My school paper, The Leader is still published there. As the photo editor and a writer, I spent many a long evening there working to make the deadlines. Also in the Campus Center was the bookstore, but it had moved to what was Cranston Dining Hall. All the visiting freshman had cleared out the school apparel though. It was good to walk around and I can't believe I found a poster hanging from May 1988. It was a copy of "Campus Voice ByWeekly".
From there on I headed to Columbus where my buddy Mark put me up for the night and took me to a great Greek restaurant downtown. We over ate though when we walked to a Cold Stone creamery.... After years of Mark visiting me, it was great to see him in his home town.

Picked up Baxter this morning, and he had the time of his life at the dog ranch I left him at. After ten days of non-stop play and being around other dogs, he's pretty much been asleep under my feet.

I love my new set of wheels. I'll post more about it later and take some pics when I have a moment to clean 1500 miles of grime off.

1 comment:

arash said...

Your car is sexay! And I hate being "that guy", but wheels that are just a little bit bigger would help it look more balanced. And I've always always always thought that deep dish wheels on bmw's are look fantastic.

And how about a picture from the car's rear. Maybe an angle shot that shows its rear and part of it's side. What do you have planned in terms of upgrades for your beemer, if any?