Saturday, July 25, 2009

No Id

I've been quiet the past week regarding the events in Cambridge, the President probably should have taken my lead. He learned a valuable lesson about "two sides to every story", and I'm a bit surprised he has not learned this a while ago.

When I moved to Texas in December 2006 the Travis County Sheriff paid me a visit one afternoon. It happened to the day I surrendered my California driver's license to Texas so they could issue me one from this state. I had a slip of paper but nothing with my picture on it. Contents from the prior owner of my home had been dumped in a field and the Sheriff and the landowner showed up at my home to find the prior owner. There was a pending charge for illegal dumping.

I was in the garage and we met in the driveway. I had no ID on me at all. A nice wallet full of credit cards but little else to say who I was. No, I was not the person they were looking for but I had to prove it, standing in the driveway of the person who's last known address was now mine.

Needless to say I was a bit freaked out. But no I did not yell and scream, cause a fuss, stomp my feet, etc. I was not indignant. I explained that this was my home now and asked for a moment to go to my office to pick up the closing papers. The officer agreed and I went back into my house. Down I came with the closing papers to show the house recently changed hands and I provided him with the prior owner's new address.

It was over. Just as I was taught it would be. My parents were very clear growing up that when a law enforcement officer stops you, be polite and courteous. Here I was having to prove who I was and I followed that protocol. And it all worked out as I expected it would.

If someone saw me breaking into my own home and the police were called, I don't think I'd be surprised. I would expect they would ask for my ID as some evidence I did actually live there. Law Enforcement is not fun when you're doing 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. However when your car is stolen, who do you call?

If you're asked for ID, don't freak out. It happened to me, it can happen to you.

No comments: