Monday, June 09, 2008

That Ole Ripley




Small dogs were never of much interest to me. Having grown up with St. Bernard's that were nearly as big as me, what's the point of a dog if you can't tackle it? No doubt I like to roll around and play with my dogs, and they are built to take it.

Over the past week I've been watching my friend Mike's dog while he has been away on vacation. I've known Ripley for over a year now and we've gotten to know each other. Mike wanted a dog but was constrained to an apartment size dog 10 years ago when he bought her. She's a mixed breed of Rat Terrier and Chihuahua. Despite her age, she's pretty feisty and active.

She does have a temper for sure. Last Christmas while watching her, she bit my mother who had never been bit by a dog in her 29++++ years on this earth. All ten pounds of her keeps Baxter and Logan off the couch. God help you if you try and take her food away. Like all dogs, she does have her soft snuggly side. And she certainly fits better on the couch next to me compared to Baxter and Logan.

I'll take my big dogs anyday, trust me. But this one's always welcome to visit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes...well Ripley and I really became best friends(with a little bit of help from snackies) before I left. And I'm sure Mike will be sending me my new red Mustang convertible soon.
That visit was the best time I have had in years. Looking forward to my next visit as soon as it gets much cooler.I will be well equipted with snackies as soon as I open the door!
Hi to all your great friends.
And .....you have too many pluses after that 29.